Sunday, June 19, 2011

champagne cupcakes

champagne cupcakes... with a dash of sparkle

Happy New Year's Eve! Try making these Sparkle Champagne Cupcakes to take to your New Year's party this year! My cousin, Jessie, sent me over the recipe (see below) and I was instantly smitten with the idea! I had to try them for myself and they turned out pretty yummy! I made a few changes, like adding more champagne to the frosting, filling the middle with frosting and undercooking the cupcakes so it wouldn't come out dry. I find everything tastes a little better and more moist when you undercook it ;) The cupcake batter isn't very sweet, but when you fill it and top it with the Champagne frosting it all comes together well. If you have a vanilla cake recipe you absolutely love, I bet you can use that and just add in 3/4 cup Champagne! Oh and also, I would love some new vanilla cake recipes to try... so whoever wants to share... pretty-please do!! Happy New Year's everyone! I hope it's going to be a blessed year for all of us ;)

Cut a hole in the middle of the cupcake and then pipe some frosting inside! YUM!




Recipe:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup champagne (sweet not dry, look for moscato or asti)
6 egg whites
Champagne buttercream:
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons champagne, at room temperature
Edible glitter for garnish (I used clear crystal sprinkles from a cooking store)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, and then blend into creamed mixture alternately with champagne.
In another large clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into batter to lighten it, then fold in remaining egg whites. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. My note: If I were to make them again I would make minis, instead of full-size. I really enjoy mini cupcakes because I think they are just the right size for sweetness and they are much easier to eat.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. My note: I only cooked them for about 12 minutes. They were still a little doughy inside, but they will continue to cook even when you pull them out of the oven.
To make frosting, cream sugar and butter with an electric mixer. Mix on low until well blended, and then on medium for another two minutes. Add vanilla and champagne, beating on medium for another minute. Spread or pipe directly onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with edible glitter if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment