Friday, August 6, 2010

Virginity…

I was sitting at home today thinking about virginity and all that it means. As a Christian I have been taught almost all of my life that sex is between 1) man and woman and 2) husband and wife. It seems in today’s society that both of these constructs which I have so arduously been bombarded with are being tested. The purpose of this post is neither to bash homosexual relationships or judge premarital sex but solely to ponder about the word and its implications for me.

“A virgin (or maiden) originally meant a woman who has never had sexual intercourse. Virginity is the state of being a virgin. It is derived from the Latin virgo, which means "sexually inexperienced woman", but also of older women, and even goddesses.”

I completely agree that the loss of someone’s virginity should be a decision they make when they feel they are ready but as of late I begin to see why some churches push so hard for abstinence before marriage. Pregnancy. Sexual Transmitted Diseases. Emotional Confusion. Any thoughts on the subject…

No comments:

Post a Comment